This holiday season, give the gift of beautiful, healthy skin. Avanti Medical Spa in St. Augustine offers three amazing gift ideas that are sure to please. Continue reading “Holiday Gifts from Avanti Medical Spa”
While it’s a near given in the teenage years, acne doesn’t always stop when one hits adulthood. Caused by an excess production of oil in the skin’s sebaceous gland, acne is the most common skin disorder in the United States, affecting upward of 85 million people at some point in their lives. In fact, upward of 20 percent of all American adults have active acne. Continue reading “Acne Dos and Don’ts for Clear, Beautiful Skin”
We see ourselves in the mirror multiple times a day. But that doesn’t tell us everything we need to know about just what condition our skin is in. That’s why the Avanti Medical Spa is a must-see at upcoming Southern Women’s Showkicking off Thursday, Oct. 16 and running through Sunday, Oct. 19.
Avanti founder Dr. Kalpana DePasquale, DO and her staff of medical spa professionals will be on hand at Booth #834, conducting complimentary Visia skin care analyses. The Visia system uses infrared light technology to pinpoint skin damage both on the surface of and beneath the skin. It gives you a truer look at just how healthy your skin is and helps to better identify existing or potential issues such as rosacea, UV spots, wrinkles, etc.
Avanti’s aesthetic professionals also will give brief consultations with skincare tips and product demonstrations to booth visitors. Various products from the spa’s exclusive Avanti Rx botanical therapy skincare line, developed by Dr. DePasquale, will be available for purchase at the show, and there will be lots of take-home materials detailing the wide array of skin rejuvenation treatments and procedures available at the Avanti Medical Spa practice location in St. Augustine. You can even schedule a spa service right there at the show.
Held at Downtown Jacksonville’s historic Prime Osborn Convention Center, the annual Southern Women’s Show attracts thousands of women who enjoy seeing hundreds of vendors exhibiting food, fashion, health and beauty related products and services, plus celebrity guests. On the star roster this year: reality TV star Vicki Gunvalson of The Real Housewives of Orange County; Rock Your Hair creator Michael O’Rourke; and New York Times best-selling author of Big Girl Panties and The Sweet Spot Stephanie Evanovich.
“We are thrilled to be involved with the Southern Women’s Show and look forward to seeing our clients, patients and friends, and meet new skin care and aesthetic enthusiasts who want to learn more about natural beauty,” said Dr. DePasquale.
Make plans now to attend the Southern Women’s Show. The Prime Osborn Convention Center is located at 1000 Water Street in Downtown Jacksonville. We’ll be at Booth #834 beginning at 10 am on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, and 11 am on Sunday.
Everything that we do, eat and perhaps even think affects us physically one way or another. It may not be a quick change, but a gradual, cumulative effect that manifests over time. And many of these effects can be seen in the condition of our skin.
Here are five top ways your lifestyle choices may be harming your complexion and how you can make a positive, healthy and beautiful change:
- You’re eating all wrong: Diet is a top factor in the overall condition of our skin. If yours is high in fats and simple carbohydrates, it can sap your natural levels of collagen and hyaluronic acid, which will accelerate wrinkling. Start making changes to your diet now by adding foods high in antioxidants, Vitamins C and E, plus complex carbohydrates like whole grains and pasta. And, make sure you stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water and snacking on fruits and vegetables.
- You’re a couch potato: Regular exercise not only helps control weight, but also improves blood circulation. That blood flow boost delivers higher levels of oxygen and nutrients to the skin, helping to jumpstart collagen production and staving off wrinkles. Get off the couch and onto the treadmill or your favorite walking path stat.
- You’ve picked up bad habits: Smoking cigarettes and drinking too much alcohol can lead to a myriad of health issues. It also saps your skin of oxygen and nutrients, particularly Vitamin C – a key component in collagen production. Break these habits immediately.
- You burn the candles at both ends: There’s a reason they call it “beauty rest.” Skimping on sleep is what gives you those dark under-eye circles, puffy eyelids and pale, dulled skin. Get seven to eight hours of uninterrupted, restorative sleep each night to help keep your skin radiant and youthful. Keep in mind that the way you sleep matters, too. Scrunching your face into your pillow sure feels comfy, but it can cause wrinkles. Get accustomed to sleeping on your back instead.
- You skimp on skincare: Getting regular skincare treatments and using high-quality skincare products really does make a difference. Fraxel treatments can help erase multiple ill effects like acne, wrinkles and spots. And regular chemical peels and facials can help maintain your skin’s youthful look.
Ready to make a positive change in your skin? Call 904-461-6797 to schedule a skin analysis and treatments with St. Augustine’s Avanti Medical Spa.
As we age, lines and wrinkles are inevitable. Fortunately, there are multiple easy ways to help improve the appearance of lines and wrinkles or significantly delay their development. Avanti Medical Spa offers these wrinkle reducing tips…
- Moisturize: By far, the most important thing you can do to improve the look of your skin and help ward off wrinkles is to moisturize – morning and night. A high quality moisturizer will help plump fine lines, smoothing your complexion and keeping your skin from drying out. A great choice is Avanti Rx’s Dream Cream, a blend of nourishing botanicals that help fight free radicals, as well as green tea, known to help strengthen the skin’s elasticity. Regular facials and peels help your skin healthy, smooth and radiant, too.
- Hydrate: Skin naturally contains water, which functions as a protective barrier. As we age, that natural moisture diminishes, leaving your skin looking dry and wrinkled. Drinking plenty of water can help keep your skin properly hydrated, plumped and smooth. And using moisturizer, as recommended above, creates a physical barrier to lock moisture in.
- Kick the habit: Smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol are two major wrinkle-inducers. In fact, one recent study showed that facial wrinkles can appear in smokers as young as 20 years old. Nixing your smoking habit can help reduce the damage to an extent, but long term smoking will cause deep wrinkles and a leathery look to your skin. Alcohol is known to dehydrate the skin. Add the salt in some drinks like beer or margaritas, and sugar in sweet drinks like mojitos, and the drying effects on your skin are multiplied.
- Get your beauty rest: Inadequate sleep causes your body to release more of the stress hormone cortisol, which can break down skin collagen, the protein that helps keep your skin smooth and elastic. It also limits natural production of human growth hormone the hormone that promotes growth, thickens skin and increases muscle mass.
If you’re already showing the tell-tale signs of aging, more intense treatments like injectables, dermal fillers and Fraxel can help smooth your skin, diminishing the look of lines and wrinkles. Call 904-461-6797 to schedule a skincare consultation with St. Augustine’s Avanti Medical Spa.
“In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes,” Benjamin Franklin famously wrote in a letter, referencing novelist Daniel Defoe’s assertion in his 1726 book, The Political History of the Devil. But wise as they were, both Franklin and Defoe missed one of life’s other certainties. No matter what lotions, potions and procedures you pick, the fact is that your skin will age over time. Your body’s collagen production will slow, elastin will lose its snap, spots and wrinkles will emerge. Like death and taxes, aging simply is inevitable – but an aged look is a choice.
If your skin has lost its youthful luster, St. Augustine’s Avanti Medical Spa offers four top ways to get your glow back:
- Microdermabrasion: Nearly a half-million microdermabrasion procedures are performed in America annually, and with good reason – it works! This noninvasive procedure is among the most popular for diminishing fine lines and wrinkles and polishing the skin. Microdermabrasion involves the application of tiny, rough crystal grains to literally buff away the outermost layer of dead skin cells, leaving you with a smoother, more even looking complexion and improving sun-damage, acne-scars, and large pores.
- Peels: Also known as a chemical peel, this procedure uses customized liquid formulas to gently remove the skin’s upper layers, diminishing fine lines, lightening freckles and evening the skin’s coloring, tone and texture. Peels can be tailored for specific skincare needs. For instance, Avanti Medical Spa’s Lactic Acid Peel uses natural acids derived from fruit to gently exfoliate sensitive skin, and its Rosacea Peel, which features a green tea mixture, is specifically formulated for patients with chronic facial redness. A series of chemical peels as prescribed by your aesthetician will work wonders for your skin long-term, and regular facials can help maintain your results. You can also combine Peels with Microdermabrasion’s for an even more advanced treatment!
- Fraxel Skin Resurfacing: This procedure uses non-invasive laser light technology to resurface the skin and stimulate its natural collagen production, allowing for lasting results. Highly customized for each individual patient’s skincare needs and desired outcomes, Fraxel therapy can smooth wrinkles, diminish acne and stretchmark scars, eliminate brown spots, treat precancerous lesions and more! Fraxel is the quick and affordable fix for most skin care concerns.
- At-home skincare routine: The beautiful results that your aesthetician can help you achieve will be short-lived if you fail to care for your skin when you return home. This means a daily, no-skipping, no-skimping skincare regimen with high-quality, proven products that effectively target your unique skincare needs. Drawing on decades of medically-based skincare experience and the age-old beauty secrets of her Indian culture, Avanti Medical Spa’s Dr. Kalpana DePasquale has developed a proprietary line of products infused with natural ingredients and available without prescriptions.
Take back your youthful looks with a phone call to Avanti Medical Spa at 904-461-6797. Dr. DePasquale and her team of expert aestheticians can conduct a thorough analysis of your skin and create a customized treatment plan designed to help you regain a smoother, more vibrant look.
Summertime is in full swing here in Northeast Florida, which means locals and visitors alike are headed to the beaches, the pools and the golf courses in droves. With a near year-round warm climate and a vast array of options for fun under the sun, we’re an outdoor-loving community. But while the fresh air and exercise you’ll get during and outdoors excursion are no doubt good for the body and soul, there’s also an ever-present danger – sun exposure.
Over exposure to the sun’s damaging UV rays can lead to a myriad of health and beauty issues such as cellular damage, early wrinkling, age spots, actinic keratoses, and skin cancer, including melanoma, the leading cause of death from skin disease. Unfortunately, many people either are unaware of the signs of sun over-exposure or simply fail to take them as seriously as they should. Do you know the signs?
- Sun tan: That beautiful bronzed glow actually is the result of injury to the skin’s upper layer that can accelerate aging and boost your risk for developing skin cancer. Don’t be among the many who erroneously believe that a mild “base” tan can be healthy (the “Vitamin D argument”) and protect you from sunburn the next time you’re in the sun for hours. Truth is, UV damage to your skin can happen in mere minutes and cause a cumulative effect, accelerating aging and boosting cancer risk.
- Sunburn: Sunburns typically are either first- or second-degree burns. First-degree sunburns result in redness of the skin, heat to the touch and mild pain that goes away in a few days. But that blistered, lobster-red look is actually a second-degree burn that may require medical treatment.
- Wrinkles: Over time, the Sun’s UV rays can cause a breakdown of elastin, the fibers of the skin that hold it taught and smooth. In fact, more than 80 percent of the signs of aging in adult skin is a direct, cumulative result of the tans they had before age 18.
- Changes in skin tone: Those differing patches of dark and light skin are a result of the sun’s effect on the skin’s pigmentation. If you notice a persistent redness in your skin, that could be sun damage to your small blood vessels and, unfortunately, it’s permanent.
- Freckles: They’re cute, for sure. And while they’ll increase in number with continued sun exposure, actual freckles pose no health risk. But if one among them changes in size, shape or color or becomes painful, it may not be a freckle at all, but instead an early cancer.
- Farmer’s lip: That persistent dryness and cracking of the lips, often called “farmer’s lip” won’t go away with a little ChapStick. It’s actually a precancerous condition called actinic cheilitis. Though less common, other signs of the condition may include swelling, loss of the sharp border between the lip and skin, and prominent lip lines.
- Cataracts: Though often considered an inevitable sign of aging, cataracts can have a variety of causes, including sun exposure. A cataract is a cloudy area in the lens of the eye can cause vision problems, including a persistent fogginess or double vision in one eye.
Call 904-461-6797 to schedule an appointment with a skincare specialist at St. Augustine’s Avanti Medical Spa today.
St. Augustine’s Avanti Medical Spa is known not only for its highly effective, custom aesthetic solutions but also for its private line of skin care products, known as Avanti RX. This physician formulated, botanical enriched skin care line is very unique and great for all skin types and ethnicities.
With the recent launch of our new online store, it is now easier than ever to become a part of the Avanti RX family. Our online store allows consumers to browse and purchase products from the comfort of their own home, or even on the go! With free shipping options available, you can’t beat shopping online for your favorite Avanti RX products.
Look over all of our fine products at www.shopavantirx.com
Not sure which Avanti RX product is right for your skin?
Call 904-461-6797 to schedule a complimentary consultation with our skin care experts or get more information at our website www.AvantiMedSpa.net/products
Aging is a fact of life. Luckily, beauty is a choice. If you’re seeing the effects that menopause and its accompanying drop in estrogen levels have on your skin – thinning, sagging, dryness and wrinkling – know that there are things you can do to help revive your thinning. Avanti Medical Spa offers eight great tips:
- Switch it up: As your skin ages your skincare needs change. While lighter foam or gel cleansers are great for younger skin, they lack the extra moisture benefits that older skin needs. Opt instead for creamier formula.
- Hydrate inside and out: Speaking of moisture, skin literally thirsts for it as it ages. That’s because oil glands aren’t as active as they were in years before. To keep your skin hydrated inside and out, drink plenty of water, skip hot showers and apply a creamy, highly potent moisturizing cream to your face and body while your skin is still wet. Keep in mind that although the more potent moisturizers may have a thicker consistency, the best ones won’t feel heavy or greasy.
- Boost your SPF: Older skin is more susceptible to the ill effects of sun exposure. So, protect it with a moisturizer or sun block with a broad-spectrum SPF (sun protection factor) of 30 or higher.
- Exfoliate: Those brown spots, also called sun spots, are a tell-tale sign of age. To help fade them, use a gentle exfoliator that helps slough off dull, flaky dead skin cells, and use a toner to help even out your skin color.
- Eat up: Nutrition plays a major role in the condition of your skin. Among the most beneficial food elements for aging skin are antioxidants, which can help combat the effects of the loss of skin-plumping collagen. Antioxidants are found primarily in brightly colored fruits and vegetables.
- Stay active: Exercise tones more than your muscles. It also can help keep your skin looking smooth, vibrant and toned, too. That’s because it boosts circulation of oxygen-rich blood needed to help your skin look brighter and healthier.
- Bust stress: Stress is a proven primary factor in aging. It can dry out your skin, making it more sensitive and prone to wrinkling. Regular exercise is a great stress-buster, as are meditation; adequate sleep (aim for eight or nine hours of uninterrupted sleep nightly) and – believe it or not – laughter. A great laugh boosts heart rate, stimulates blood circulation and aids muscle reaction.
- Pamper yourself: Treat yourself to regular facials designed to smooth, brighten and revive aging skin. Avanti Medical Spa’s skincare professionals offer a variety of signature facials, each of which can be tailored for your specific skincare needs.
Don’t you deserve to look as young and vibrant as you feel? Call 904-461-6797 to schedule your custom skincare analysis and treatment today.